Brighten your workplace, brighten your walls, and brighten your day. The high resolution and vibrant photographs of landscapes and iconic DC structures that grace the walls of Sotheby’s International Reality’s Chevy Chase office shot by Pamela Viola do just that.

My first introduction to Pamela was her show at the Hillyer Art Space in September, where she debuted her new take on abstract photography and innovative use of technology in Having a Ball. To prep for my interview I explored her blog where the ‘about me’ touted Viola as “a photographer and fine artist working in the Washington DC area specializing in fine art photography for corporate, hospitality, health care and residential collectors.” To me, there seemed to be something dissonant about this description and her work. It was time to dig underneath the two titles of ‘fine artist’ and ‘photographer’ and reconcile the pair.